Many "modeled" compressors are nothing more than futile attempts to get an off-the-shelf algorithm to match its hardware counterpart by tweaking a few parameters like the knee and attack/release times. But anyone who has worked with hardware compressors knows that there must be more to it. And there is.
The heritage of analog compressors very much showcases the history of electronics in the previous century. It's the deficiencies of the different designs and components that give each unit its unique character, and what started out as technical limitations have now become sought-after sounds. Simply approximating the most apparent features is not enough to capture this uniqueness. It takes a model of great complexity and accuracy to make a digital replica sound like the original with all settings and inputs.
When creating FET Compressor, Softube set out to make the most accurate emulation of the most famous solid state compressor. Instead of modeling individual features and putting them together digitally we have modeled the unit in its entirety: input and output stages, gain reduction feedback loops, bias differences of different transistors, etc. It's been by far the hardest project we have taken on, but we feel that the result speaks for itself. And hopefully it will be easier to do it the next time (yeah right).
- Modeled analog compressor, input and output stages. Modeled everything.
- Modeled "All buttons in" mode
- Continuous ratio (even between 20:1 and ALL.)
- Super fast attack time (just like the original)
- Sweet input and output stage distortion.
- Parallel compression.
- Detector low and high cut filters
- External side chain
- Stereo with synchronized gain reduction
- Very CPU friendly
Version 2.0 of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements.
All Native Versions
- Mac OS X 10.8 or higher, with the latest updates.
- Windows 8, Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64 Bit)
- Intel Core Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- Any VST, VST3, AU, RTAS (Pro Tools 9) or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7, 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application
- Free iLok account for Authorization. You can use machine authorization via iLok.com or authorize using your iLok USB key. Use the latest iLok License Manager (download them from www.ilok.com)
- Broadband internet access for downloading installer and register licenses.
All Softube plug-ins support both 32- and 64-bit hosts and operating systems. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
Please, make sure that you always use the latest iLok License Manager. It is not included in the Softube installer, but can be downloaded from www.ilok.com.
AAX DSP version
- All available AAX-DSP versions are included in the Native license. You do not need to buy the TDM version in order to use the AAX-DSP version.
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the requirements for the Native version. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card.
- Different plug-ins will have a different load on your HDX card.