Vienna Symphonic Library
Vienna Dimension Brass II
4 Brass Ensembles – 16 Instruments
- Trumpet ensemble (4 muted trumpets in Bb)
- Horn ensemble (4 muted French horns)
- Trombone ensemble (4 muted tenor trombones)
- Wagner tuba ensemble (4 players)
In addition to the three muted brass ensembles of four players each (trumpets, trombones, French horns) this Vienna Instruments Collection includes a unique ensemble of four Wagner tubas that you’ll scarcely find on any other library!
Wagner tubas were originally created for Wagner’s 16-hour epic opera cycle “Der Ring des Nibelungen“ that he composed between 1848 and 1874 (with some interruptions). Wagner was inspired by instrument maker Adolphe Sax, the inventor of the saxophone, and sought a particularly noble and somber sound like that of a trombone but with a less incisive, mellow tone, like that of a French horn.
The term “tuba” is actually misleading, as the mouthpiece and the fingering are identical to the French horn. Consequently, these instruments are traditionally played by horn players in the orchestra. Besides the monumental “Ring” cycle Wagner tubas occasionally appear in orchestral works of other composers, such as Anton Bruckner (7th Symphony), Richard Strauss (Elektra, An Alpine Symphony), Igor Stravinski (Firebird in its original version of 1911, Le Sacre du Printemps), Arnold Schönberg (Gurre-Lieder) and Edgar Varese (Arcana).
As with Vienna Dimension Brass I, the players of these ensembles were recorded in groups using dedicated microphones for each of the four players, resulting in a homogenous sound while still allowing direct (individual) access to each voice.
Although the product works with Vienna’s free Vienna Instruments player (included) we recommend using Vienna Instruments PRO in order to enjoy the full benefits of these multi-dimensional samples. With Vienna Instruments PRO you can easily change the sound characteristics, player position, volume, and performance accuracy of each individual player. The auto-divisi mode lets you split voices; play one note, and you’ll hear four players in unison, two notes will divide the ensemble in sections of two players, and so on. The tailor-made Humanize Presets let you easily control the performance accuracy in real-time, at the single touch of a fader – from subtle tuning and timing variations to heavy cluster effects.
Multi-Dimensional Vienna Instruments
All instruments in these ensembles were recorded with separate microphones using a technique that preserves the ensemble sound when played together.
Freely adjustable ensemble sizes
Whether you’re writing for four solo instruments, or for groups of 2, 3, or 4 musicians playing in unison – Vienna Dimension Brass gives you individual options for each instrument while maintaining a homogeneous sound.
Change the position, sound characteristics, volume, and performance accuracy of each virtual musician individually.
Human Performance Control
When used with Vienna Instruments PRO, individual instruments of each section can be Humanized separately and in real-time, from subtle tuning and timing variations to heavy cluster effects.
Vienna Instruments PRO can automatically split voices between players. Play one note, and you’ll hear four players in unison. Two notes will divide the ensemble in sections of two players, and so on.
- Single notes: Staccato, portato, sustains, blared sustains, crescendo/diminuendo in various lengths (1.5 - 4 sec), fortepiano, sforzato, sforzatissimo
- Fast repetitions from 140 - 200 bpm
- Flutter tongue
- Repetition Performances: Legato, portato, staccato
- Legato Performances
- Trill Performances
- 4 velocity layers for almost all articulations (including Legato and Trill Performances)
Minimum System Requirements
- PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- Mac OS X 10.6 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
- Between 10GB and 600GB depending on the product, please check www.vsl.co.at for up to date required hard drive space for each Vienna product.
- Other configurations might work but are not actively supported.
- PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- Mac OS X 10.7 (latest update), i5/i7/Xeon
- Fast separate hard drive (7200 rpm or faster)
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host (also works stand-alone)
- RTAS version requires Pro Tools 7.3 or higher
- 88 key master keyboard